Mcstay Family, The father of Joseph McStay, whose remains were found in the Southern California desert this week three years after he went missing with his wife and two children, called the investigation into his son’s disappearance the most “botched, inept investigation I’ve ever seen in my entire life.”
In a telephone interview with CBS News’ Crimesider on Friday, Patrick McStay called the San Diego Sheriff’s Office, which spearheaded the investigation into his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren’s 2010 disappearance, the “dumbest, most corrupt organization” he’s ever seen.
He said the department didn’t even bother to contact him to tell him his son’s remains had been found.
“I got a message from someone [on Thursday] on Facebook telling me to go and read an article,” McStay said. “The minute I read the article, I knew it was him.”
Joseph McStay disappeared along with his wife, Summer, and their two young children, Gianni and Joey, in February 2010, launching what San Diego sheriff’s investigators called their most extensive missing-persons search ever.
Investigators reportedly pursued hundreds of tips and eventually came to believe the family left voluntarily for Mexico. Investigators were convinced that four people seen on a dimly lit surveillance video walking into Tijuana, Mexico were the McStays.
Authorities announced Friday that remains found Wednesday in shallow graves near Victorville, about 60 miles northeast of Los Angeles, were those of 40-year-old Joseph McStay and his 43-year-old wife, Summer. Authorities said they believe the other remains belong to the McStay children, but they have more work to do to confirm it. Their deaths were determined to be homicides.
Autopsies were still being completed, and the cause of death has not been released.
“I’m a realist. I suspected this from day one,” Patrick McStay told Crimesider. “But I always hoped in the back of my mind it wouldn’t be true.”
McStay expressed strong dismay with the San Diego sheriff department’s handling of the investigation. He said he’s been fighting with the department since February 2011 when he filed a complaint with internal affairs.