Knockout game, The “knockout game” that outraged the Syracuse area earlier this year when two teenagers playing it attacked and killed Michael Daniels on West Brighton Avenue is getting renewed attention as reports spread about Jews being targeted in Brooklyn and the death of a homeless man in Hoboken, N.J.
The New York Police Department’s Hate Crimes Unit is investigating reports that a group of men is playing “Knock Out the Jew” in Brooklyn. A 64-year-old man told CBS New York in a report posted Tuesday that he and his 12-year-old son were attacked. Video in the report also shows a 19-year-old Jewish man being sucker punched.
Nothing was taken in the assaults.
Teacher James D. Addlespurger, right, falls to the ground, the victim of a purported knockout game attack broadcast by CBS New York.CBS New York | eBaum’s World screen capture
The report came a day after the eBaum’s World website posted an earlier CBS New York video describing how the knockout game was being played in New Jersey:
This horrifying new trend from Jersey City teens has them assaulting strangers and taking their possessions. While the assault itself is a problem, it’s the fact that it’s turned into a game that’s truly troubling.
That CBS New York report is undated but apparently was produced after three Jersey City teens were charged with murder in September following the death of Ralph Erick Santiago in Hoboken, allegedly as the result of the knockout game.
The report includes clips of the game being played. One victim is shown being knocked out with one punch, an act called a “one-hitter quitter,” the reporter is told.
What’s the point, the reporter asks one young male. “For the fun of it, like, for little kids to run around and hit people. Even though they shouldn’t be doing it, people do it,” he replies.