Canada’s Richest People 2012, A record number of billionaires racked up record wealth this past year, according to Forbes’ annual rich list. Twenty-five Canadians made the list ranking from 35th to 1,153rd.
1. Topping the Canadian list again, David Thomson and family ranks 35th globally, with their fortune of $17.5-billion. The family’s wealth has taken a big hit since last year, Forbes says, due to an almost 30% drop in Thomson Reuters’ share price
Here’s what Forbes has to say about Canada’s richest man:
”David Thomson, the camera-shy media magnate who chairs Thomson Reuters, took a step into the spotlight this year by announcing a co-ownership deal in which he helped buy the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers team and relocated them to Canada, renaming them the Winnipeg Jets. David serves as co-chair of the Thomson family’s investment vehicle, Woodbridge, with his brother, Peter. A voracious art collector, Thomson maintains a substantial and diverse art collection, which is reported to include pieces from Pablo Picasso and the world’s top collection of John Constable.
2. Galen Weston and family, worth $7.6-billion, takes second place in Canada, 121th in the world.
At 71, Galen Weston stepped down from the board of retailer Associated British Foods late last year, but still maintains his role as the Executive Chairman of George Weston Ltd. The Canadian food and retail giant that owns Loblaws was founded by his grandfather in 1882. Weston also owns department stores Holt Renfrew in Canada, Brown Thomas in Ireland, Selfridges in the U.K. and de Bijenkorf in the Netherlands. In July 2011 his Selfridges unit purchased Ogilvy’s, one of the most prominent department stores in Montreal, for an undisclosed amount.
Here’s the rest of the Canadians who made the rich list, with their Canadian ranking first, followed by their global ranking
3. (205th on world list) James and Arthur Irving. The East Coast oil and paper magnates are worth $5-billion
4. (248th) Paul Desmarais worth $4.3-billion
(248th) Jim Pattison worth $4.3-billion
5. (296th) Emanuele (Lino) Saputo worth $3.7-billion
(296th) Bernard (Barry) Sherman worth $3.7-billion
6. (377th) Clayton Riddell worth $3-billion
7. (401) David Azrieli & family worth $2.9-billion
(401) Lululemon’s Chip Wilson worth $2.9-billion
8. (464) Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte worth $2.6-billion
9. (491) Robert Miller worth $2.5-billion
10. (634) Charles Bronfman worth $2-billion
(634) Carlo Fidani worth $2-billion
(634) Daryl Katz worth $2-billion
11. (719) Lawrence Stroll worth $1.8-billion
12. (804) Pharmacy king Jean Coutu worth $1.6-billion
(804) N. Murray Edwards worth $1.6-billion
(804) Money manager Stephen Jarislowsky worth $1.6-billion
13. (854) Goldhar Mitchell worth $1.5-billion
14. (960) David Cheriton worth $1.3-billion
16. (1,015) Ronald Southern worth $1.2-billion
(1,015) Magna International’s Frank Stronach worth $1.2-billion
17. (1,075) Asset manager Eric Sprott worth $1.1-billion
18. (1,153) Gerald Schwartz worth $1-billion